Hanko City Hall was completed in September 1926. The building was designed by Armas Lindgren and Bertel Liljequist. Activities in the town hall were lively. There were concerts, plays, dance performances and lectures. Of course, there was also an entire city administration building. In 1941, a continuation war broke out, and Russian troops blew up the town hall as they retreated from the city in December. The current town hall was completed in 1951.
Wivi Lönn (1872? 1966) was a prolific architect, whose buildings include e.g. From Helsinki, Tampere and Jyväskylä. She ran her own architectural firm, the first woman in Finland, and designed e.g. several school buildings. For example, he designed the wooden part of Edvin Laine's school in Iisalmi in the early 20th century.
The Tvärminne Zoological Station was founded by Johan Axel Palmén, Professor of Zoology, in 1902. His goal was to establish a marine field station in an area with a diverse environment and thus good opportunities for research. After his death, the position was transferred as a will to the University of Helsinki in 1919.
Haukilahti's Pitkänkallionmäki was part of Helsinki's air defense during World War II. On the hill was a floodlight H7 operated by lots. Today, the area is called Casablanca after an on-site adventure park. The park was built on the visions of art students and no attention was paid to safety. Fortunately, not a single serious accident happened.
In Kauniainen, as elsewhere in Finland, fire safety was handled at the beginning of the 20th century mainly as work. Some localities had already established a free fire department, and in large cities, operations were based on a model copied from the United States. In 1910, AB Grankulla, the Kauniainen villa community, raised funds to start fire brigade activities. The VPK of Kauniainen, officially called Grankulla Frivilliga brandkår rf, began operations in 1913 on a site near the Thurman park road.
The oldest surviving crane in Hanko Harbor was commissioned in July 1911. Ransomes & Rapier Ltd in London delivered the parts and the engineering firm Zitting & co from Helsinki assembled it. The crane was renovated in 2020.
Billnäs is part of the historic ironworks area of southwestern Finland and is the third oldest in Finland, Rautaruukki. Billnäs Ruukki was founded in 1641 by Carl Billsten with the permission of the Swedish krona. The historic Kuninkaantie runs through Ruukki's Mustionjoki River and the other bank of the river. In the heart of the ironworks area, industrial activity largely ceased in the 1980s. Today, the area is owned by Billnäsin Ruukki Oy. The company is developing the area into a center for tourism, events and teleworking, respecting history.
The Statue of Liberty was erected in 1921 to commemorate the German landing on April 3, 1918. Ab Granit was responsible for the design work and the sculpture was designed by sculptor Bertel Nilsson. The Statue of Liberty has been controversial since the wars; it was demolished by the council during the lease period and re-erected in 1943. In 1946 the statue was demolished again, but since 1960 the statue has been as it is today with the text “For Our Freedom”.
Hanko was the most important Departure City for migrants at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. About 250,000 Finns went through the port of Hanko in search of new life. Accommodation capacity in Hanko has always been a problem, and in the early 20th century, there were particularly many immigrants in Hanko who stayed here for a night or two before continuing their journey through England to the United States. The Finnish Steamship Company, which was responsible for the migrants' journey from Finland, decided to build a migrant hotel on the Boulevard in 1902.